Composition of REC
Members: The minimum membership of an REC is five members, being men and women, comprising:
1. a Chairperson;
2. at least 2 members who are laypeople, either man or woman, who have no affiliation with the institution or organization, are not currently involved in medical or scientific work, and who are preferably from the community in which the institution or organization is located;
3. at least one member with knowledge of, and current experience in, the areas of research that are regularly considered by the REC (e.g. health, medical, social, psychological, epidemiological, as appropriate);
4. at least one member with knowledge of, and current experience in, the professional care, counseling or treatment of people (e.g. medical practitioner, clinical psychologist, social worker, nurse, as appropriate);
5. at least one member who is from a religious institution, or a person who performs a similar role in a community;
6. at least one member who is a lawyer.